Free all-girls running club
Girls Gone Gazelle is a not-for-profit, all-girls running club for pre-teens. The members of the club currently run on the indoor track at the Dartmouth Sportsplex, following a proven learn-to-run program designed for children - promoting confidence, body acceptance, and socialization while increasing physical activity in elementary school age girls.
Girls Gone Gazelle gives girls an opportunity to participate in a non-competitive running group, creating an enjoyment of physical activity. We will provide a safe and respectful environment, building their self-confidence and knowledge of healthy eating habits, while learning to run up to 5K.
With childhood obesity on the rise, the goal of Girls Gone Gazelle will be to help young girls become active before junior high. By incorporating regular cardiovascular activity between the ages of 8-12 we hope to increase the probability of them staying active through their teen years, thereby reducing the chance of weight related issues during puberty.
We believe that joining Girls Gone Gazelle will not only create memorable childhood experiences and life-long friendships, but also develop self confidence and effective stress management techniques while connecting with positive role models in the form of adult female runners.
The first learn-to-run session has already started. We are very excited that the group is full, but unfortunately there is a waiting list.
To have your daughter considered for the next in-take, submit via email:
- her name
her current age
short description of how she would benefit from club
Girls Gone Gazelle press releasesFollowing are the most recent events with Girls Gone Gazelle:
- Benny Bulldog 5K raises $2,500 for all-girls running club (05/10/2012)
- Team uniform revealed at Bicentennial School (03/20/2012)
- Green Extreme Outdoors donates fashionable Buffs (03/06/2012)
- Runalicious empowers through positive messages (02/29/2012)
- MEC cooperates with Girls Gone Gazelle (02/28/2012)
- Girls Gone Gazelle is awesome! (02/25/2012)
- Great news for Girls Gone Gazelle! (02/10/2012)
- Some good things in life are free! (01/26/2012)